Pakistan names separate squads for Zimababwe tour
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board on Tuesday took some intriguing decisions like appointing Moin Khan as manager and recalling several players as they announced three separate squads for the forthcoming tour of Zimbabwe.
Resting left arm pacer, Muhammad Irfan and left-handed batsman, Nasir Jamshed for the two Test matches was a major decision by the national selectors, who also included uncapped middle-order batsman, Sohaib Maqsood in the Twenty20 squad.
However, it was the recalls which were far too many. Imran Farhat, dropped after the Champions Trophy, was back as opener alongwith Khurrum Manzoor, who last played in 2010 in Australia.
Former captain and senior batsman, Younis Khan, top order batsman, Azhar Ali, wicketkeeper, Adnan Akmal and pacer, Ehsan Adil, dropped after the South African tour, were all recalled into the Test side.
The interesting thing is that Ehsan since the South African tour has been an impressive performer in T20 and ODI matches.
Also recalled to the T20 and ODI squads was allrounder, Anwar Ali, who last played in 2009 in a T20 series in Canada.
The comeback of Younis for the tests was expected after he was sidelined for the Champions Trophy and the one-day series in West Indies.
But it was the decision to name Moin as manager, after the tenure of Naved Akram Cheema ended with the West Indies, that came as a surprise because it is after a long time that the board has named a cricketer as manager.
What is noteworthy is that Moin, suddenly in favor with the board, was also named as chief selector last month but before he could select any teams his appointment by caretaker Chairman, Najam Sethi stood suspended due to a judgment of the Islamabad High Court.
Apparently the board, which is now taking decisions on a day-to-day basis after consulting the Attorney General of Pakistan, has decided to compensate Moin.
Pakistan, which leaves on August 19 for Zimbabwe, will play two Twenty20 matches on Aug 23rd and 24th at Harare and three ODIs on the 27th, 29th and 31st.
The two tests are scheduled are Harare from September 3rd and Bulawayo from the September 10th.
T20 squad: Muhammad Hafeez (C), Nasir Jamshed, Ahmed Shahzad, Umar Akmal, Umar Amin, Sohaib Maqsood, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Saeed Ajmal, Muhammad Irfan, Junaid Khan, Asad Ali, Anwar Ali, Zulfiqar Babar, Haris Sohail.
ODI squad: Misbah-ul-Haq (C), Muhammad Hafeez, Nasir Jamshed, Ahmed Shahzad, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Umar Amin, Shahid Afridi, Saeed Ajmal, Muhammad Irfan, Junaid Khan, Asad Ali, Anwar Ali, Abdul Rehman, Haris Sohail.
Test squad: Misbah-ul-Haq (C), Khurrum Manzoor, Imran Farhat, Muhammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq, Faisal Iqbal, Azhar Ali, Adnan Akmal, Junaid Khan, Wahab Riaz, Ehsan Adil, Rahat Ali, Saeed Ajmal, Abdul Rehman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections