Pakistan names squad for Bangladesh series, Riaz dropped
Lahore: Pakistani selectors today omitted left-arm pacer Wahab Riaz from the squad named for the upcoming series against Bangladesh after his name cropped up during the spot-fixing trials in London early this month.
The selection committee, headed by Mohammad Illyas, made only one change in the Test squad that recently played against Sri Lanka in the UAE with young pacer Mohammad Talha replacing Riaz for the tour starting from November 26.
The ODI squad, also named on Monday, remained unchanged with the one that clinched the series against Sri Lanka yesterday.
The selectors also continued to ignore wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal.
Misbah-ul-Haq was retained as captain for the full series after he led Pakistan to a Test and ODI series win over Sri Lanka in the UAE.
The names of Riaz and Akmal were mentioned during the spot-fixing trial held in London in which Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Amir were handed jail terms by a court for their involvement in corruption and cheating during last year`s Lord`s Test.
Although chief selector Illyas did not elaborate on why Riaz and Akmal had been omitted, sources said that the national selectors had not got clearance from the Pakistan Cricket Board to consider the duo for the tour.
"Unofficially after their names were mentioned during the spot-fixing trial in London of Salman Butt, Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Amir, it has been decided to keep them on the sidelines until the matter is sorted out with the ICC," the source said.
"The teams were selected after proper consultations between the selectors and team management and best possible players have been selected," Illyas said.
Asked if the ICC had told the PCB not to select Riaz, Illyas said he didn`t know much about this. "We just selected the best possible team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you