Pakistan players might play in IPL soon: Rajiv Shukla
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Karachi: Pakistan players, currently snubbed by the Indian Premier League, received fresh hopes from new commissioner Rajiv Shukla with him saying there is a possibility of Pakistan players returning to the cash-rich Twenty20 extravaganza in 2012.
“Pakistan players are not banned to play the IPL,” Shukla told reporters. “We have been hiring the services of Pakistan umpires and referees and there is a possibility of their players returning to the IPL. We are keeping our options open.”
Rajiv Shukla, who took over the IPL top post recently, said the issue of recruiting Pakistan players will be discussed in future meetings. “We will consider Pakistan cricketers for the 2012 IPL in our body’s meetings that are held regularly.”
Several Pakistan players, who played in the inaugural edition, were later snubbed in the aftermaths of Mumbai attack in 2008.
Several Pakistan players, including former skipper Shahid Afridi, expressed their desire to be part of the tournament.
Meanwhile, a Pakistan Cricket Board official termed this as a ‘positive gesture’ and said their players’ future depends upon the revival of bilateral series between the two countries.
“It’s a positive gesture,” said an official. “If there’s a development on the bilateral series’ front then the IPL and the Champions League become secondary matters.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read