Pakistan`s Umar Akmal in trouble over wedding party
Pakistani batsman Umar Akmal could be in fresh trouble with the law after a party for his wedding breached local rules restricting marriage celebrations, police said Wednesday.
Officers in the eastern city of Lahore said the 23-year-old international held a function on Tuesday that violated bylaws which say only one food dish can be served at wedding parties, which must end at 10:00 pm.
Akmal, who was to wed former Pakistan leg-spinner Abdul Qadir`s daughter Noor Amna on Wednesday, left the venue before the police raid.
"There were violations of marriage act and a case has been registered and four people were arrested," police official Rana Imtiaz told reporters.
The law was brought in to try to curb excessive wedding celebrations and has proved unpopular in Lahore, traditionally known for lavish marriages.
Imtiaz said Akmal was not named in the police report, but action could still be taken against the cricketer, as it was his function.
It comes a month after Akmal was cleared of violating traffic rules and scuffling with a policeman.
The officer in question forgave Akmal, saying he was a "national hero", following a match-saving century against Bangladesh in the Asia Cup.
Akmal`s wedding has attracted big headlines in Pakistani media over his hairstyle and expensive sherwani -- the groom`s traditional long coat.
Umar has so far played 16 Tests, 94 one-day and 56 Twenty20 internationals for Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE 10th result 2016 likely to be declared at 10 am today. Check www.cbse.nic.in, www.cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 result 2016, CBSE X Board Result
- Suspended JDU MLC Manorama Devi's bail plea rejected by Gaya court
- Is it a bubble or a pony? Sunny Leone's latest hairstyle is something to watch out for!
- IPL 2016, KKR vs SRH: Colin Munro's run-out was the turning point of the match, says Gautam Gambhir
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level