Pakistan`s Umar Akmal in trouble over wedding party
Pakistani batsman Umar Akmal could be in fresh trouble with the law after a party for his wedding breached local rules restricting marriage celebrations, police said Wednesday.
Officers in the eastern city of Lahore said the 23-year-old international held a function on Tuesday that violated bylaws which say only one food dish can be served at wedding parties, which must end at 10:00 pm.
Akmal, who was to wed former Pakistan leg-spinner Abdul Qadir`s daughter Noor Amna on Wednesday, left the venue before the police raid.
"There were violations of marriage act and a case has been registered and four people were arrested," police official Rana Imtiaz told reporters.
The law was brought in to try to curb excessive wedding celebrations and has proved unpopular in Lahore, traditionally known for lavish marriages.
Imtiaz said Akmal was not named in the police report, but action could still be taken against the cricketer, as it was his function.
It comes a month after Akmal was cleared of violating traffic rules and scuffling with a policeman.
The officer in question forgave Akmal, saying he was a "national hero", following a match-saving century against Bangladesh in the Asia Cup.
Akmal`s wedding has attracted big headlines in Pakistani media over his hairstyle and expensive sherwani -- the groom`s traditional long coat.
Umar has so far played 16 Tests, 94 one-day and 56 Twenty20 internationals for Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31