Pakistan`s women cricketers practice amid tight security
Cuttack: With no signs of fear in their eyes despite protests from several quarters, Pakistan`s women cricketers on Monday took to their first net practice amid tight security at the Barabati Stadium here, one of the venues for the upcoming World Cup.
They practised for four hours even as a small group of agitators staged a demonstration outside the fortified venue.
"Barabati stadium and its arrangements are more like in Pakistan. We are happy with the facilities provided to us by the organisers," Pakistan team manager Ayesha Ashhar told reporters after the session.
Coach Basit Ali echoed similar feelings and said his team will have an edge over others as it would be practising and playing in the same ground.
"We will play a positive game in the World Cup. Our players are confident," one of the coaches, referring to their opening match against Australia on February 1, said.
For security reasons, the Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) has housed them inside the stadium.
Pakistan`s matches had been shifted from Mumbai in the wake of protests from several quarters following the beheading of Indian soldiers along the Line of Control (LoC).
Even as the players from the neighbouring country hit the ground in dusky colour track suits, about 1500 khaki-clad security personnel guarded them.
The entire stadium as well as the city has been turned into a fortress.
"We have sufficient force to ensure smooth conduct of the matches," Cuttack DCP Praveen Kumar said, adding that the group of people was taken to custody for staging a demonstration outside the stadium.
The DCP, however, said that the protestors belonging to Utkal Bharat were released on personal release bond later.
The agitators raising slogans "Pakistan players go back" marched towards the stadium, but they were soon taken into custody by the police.
Similarly, the Bajrang Dal, which was at the forefront of protests and observed Cuttack bandh last week, has decided to hold a mass congregation of its activists here on February 1, sources said.
A source in the outfit informed that preparations are on at the state-level for the protest that is expected to see around 20000 activists participating.
Sources in OCA, which is hosting the Group B matches of the ICC Women`s World Cup, said visiting Pakistani players will play a friendly match against Odisha Women Cricket Team.
"We are excited to face the Pakistani team. They have many good players. Our girls will learn a lot from this exercise," said Odisha Women`s Cricket Team captain Madhumita Behera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'