Pakistan selectors cut Kamran, Razzaq for ODIs
Karachi: Pakistan`s selectors have omitted senior players Younis Khan, Kamran Akmal and Abdul Razzaq for the one-day in the West Indiesfrom April 21.
The Pakistan cricket Board has, however, retained all-rounder Shahid Afridi as captain for the five one-day internationals and one T20 game in the Caribbean.
Pakistan`s one-day team was announced on Wednesday just one week after the World Cup semi-final loss to India in Mohali.
Afridi and chief selector Mohsin Khan had indicated that they were looking at rebuilding a fresh side for limited overs cricket.
The 16-member squad also does not include fast bowler Umar Gul, who himself withdraw from the tour.
"I wanted a break from cricket for a while so I requested the board to not consider me for the tour," Gul said.
"I had also informed the chief selector that I wanted to spend time with my family," added Gul, who finished with 14 wickets in the world cup.
The selectors have included rookie pacer Aizaz Cheema, who joins Junaid Khan as the two uncapped players in the touring squad.
Khan said that the squad for the two test matches against the West Indies would be announced later.
He said wicketkeeper Kamran had been dropped because of poor form. "Basically we want to try out some new players on this tour," said Khan.
Uncapped Mohammad Salman will replace Kamran, who struggled at the World Cup, while the selectors have also included young batsman Usman Salahuddin and all-rounder Hammad Azam.
Squad: Shahid Afridi (captain), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Taufiq Umar, Usman Salahuddin, Misbah-ul-Haq, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal, Tanvir Ahmed, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Hammad Azam, Aizaz Cheema, Mohammad Salman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?