Pakistan should rethink Misbah`s place in ODI team, says Gavaskar
Karachi: Former India great Sunil Gavaskar has termed Pakistan`s abject surrender in the 3rd ODI against India "baffling display of timid batting" and has suggested captain Misbah-ul-Haq to rethink his place in the shorter-form of the game.
Pakistan, who won the three-match ODI series 2-1, lost the last game in New Delhi by 10 runs chasing a paltry total of 167. Although the defeat was drowned in euphoria at Pakistan`s triumph, the Indian batting legend said the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) needed to take some tough decisions, reports The Dawn.
Gavaskar said it was Misbah`s approach that cost Pakistan the game, much as it did in the semi-finals of the World Cup two years back. He added that if Pakistan are to carry on winning then some serious thought needs to be applied to Misbah`s position in the team.
Gavaskar also tipped Mohammad Hafeez , Pakistan`s captain in T20s, to take charge of the ODI side. He called a good leader who takes "superb catches" and said he could bring back Pakistan`s much needed glory.
With the World Cup just a couple of years away, Pakistan, like India, should be looking at building a nucleus for that event - just like India seemed to be doing with the messages sent to two senior and prolific players by leaving them out of the team, Gavaskar further said.
Whether Pakistan are ready to follow India`s lead it remains to be seen, but they will need to iron out the chinks fast as their next assignment pits them against the top-ranked South Africans in a three-match Test series, two T20s and five ODIs. The long tour starts on January 25 and will run until March 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gold price hits 2-week low on US rate hike prospects
- Envy at workplace may hamper your productivity
- Sent email to the wrong person? Know how to recall email on Gmail's Undo Send feature
- Shabir Choudhry rejects UN Secy Gen's letter to Pak PM as ''unimpressive''
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside