Pakistan, South Africa clash in must-win WC contest
Cuttack: With a Super Six berth at stake, the struggling teams of Pakistan and South Africa will clash in a do-or-die Group B women cricket World Cup match, here on Tuesday.
With two defeats each, both Pakistan and South Africa are facing early exit from the tournament.
Since it will be their last group stage match, the loser will be sent crashing from the event while the winner will move to the next stage.
Pakistan has more to worry than the Proteas as neither their batting nor bowling has clicked.
They managed meagre scores of 84 and 104 in the encounters against Australia and New Zealand respectively and the bowlers too failed to make an impression.
South Africa though had been at least competitive against Australia although they were out-batted by the Kiwis in their opening match.
Bismah Maroof is the only batswoman in the Pakistan team to have offered some resistance to the rival bowlers. Captain Sana Mir`s failure in the top-order has hit them badly and they need their skipper to lead from the front.
Either the top-order or the middle-order players have batted for South Africa.
Trisha Chetty and Marizanna Cap delivered against Australia while Susan Benade, Cri-zelda Brits and skipper Mugnin du Preez batted well for South Africa against the Kiwis.
It will be difficult for Pakistan bowlers to stop the in-form Proteas, who undoubtedly will start favourites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra