Pakistan Super League signs up 50 overseas players: Organiser
Karachi: Around 50 overseas players have signed up for the inaugural edition of the Pakistan Super League twenty20 tournament despite security concerns in the country.
PSL`s managing director, Sarwar Salman Butt, said in a statement that the organisers have succeeded in signing around 50 foreign players and there would be more signings soon.
Without disclosing the names of these players, he said besides the state apparatus, there would be foreign security experts also to look after the safety of players in the PSL.
Butt, however, admitted that the signed players would now have to seek NOCs from their respective boards as per the ICC procedure governing foreign leagues.
"The PCB is in contact with the various boards and will be soliciting NOCs for signed-up players," he said.
His comments came after the PSL appeared to have been hit hard by statements from Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa that they would not be issuing NOCs to their contracted players to play in the PSL because of the ongoing security situation.
Earlier, the Federation of International Cricketers (FICA) and the English professional players association had also announced they would advise their players to keep away from the PSL.
Butt admitted that the PSL management was always aware they would face such obstacles in organising the league from March 26.
He acknowledged that the security is a concern for some of the boards but the PSL management will provide high-level security throughout the league.
"Let me reassure all concerned on behalf of the PSL that a very high-level security shall be provided throughout. On top of the state apparatus, the best international outfits with proven credentials of overseeing safety in international events of stature are being assessed for engagement.
"The safety of each and every participant including the audiences is a responsibility that the PSL is not taking lightly," Butt said.
No Test playing nation has visited Pakistan since March, 2009 when militants attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore killing six Pakistani policemen and a van driver and wounding five of the visiting players.
"The PSL management is working towards organising the tournament in a most befitting manner," Butt said.
On the issue of various boards announcing they would not issue NOCs to their contracted players, the PSL MD said they always knew that it would not be easy to change perceptions as it takes time and genuine effort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in