Pakistan to prepare bouncy wickets
Islamabad: The Pakistan Cricket Board has adopted a strategy of preparing bouncy wickets to help its national team prepare for the ICC Champions Trophy in England in June.
According to official sources, the PCB authorities have ordered the preparation of special pitches, matching English conditions, to be used in the training camp to help batsmen who struggle at the bouncy pitches.
Pakistan players, especially batsmen, who are usually groomed up while playing at slow, dry and dull tracks face problems when they play on bouncy, grassy and fast pitches abroad, like in South Africa, Australia, England and New Zealand.
Pakistan had a harsh experience of such fast track recently in their South African tour where they lost six out of nine international matches including two series: Test by 3-0 and One-day International by 3-2 during January-March.
After the woeful episode in South Africa where national team slumped at its lowest ever Test total of 49 runs, the PCB authorities decided to take quick and practical steps to make players aware of English conditions during the practice sessions at home.
"The authorities have observed that during the South Africa tour, batsmen struggled and after considering the venue of the Champions Trophy in England, it was decided that special pitches would be prepared to help players` training," a PCB release said.
The PCB has planned to organise a 10-day training camp in the northwestern city of Abbottabad where a 30-man probable squad will report for screening for the final team selection.
The PCB has also hired the services of legendary former fast bowler Wasim Akram to support the pacemen in the camp.
Pakistan have been placed in the Group B along with India, West Indies and South Africa for the eight-nation tournament while Group A comprises defending champion Australia, England, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
It is the seventh and final ICC Champions Trophy tournament of its kind that will be held from June 6 to 23 in three British cities: London, Birmingham and Cardiff.
Besides England, Pakistan is the only team that has never won the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org