Pakistani Fawad Ahmed is now Australian officially
Melbourne: Pakistan-born leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed on Wednesday officially became an Australian citizen at a citizenship ceremony conducted by Minister Brendan O`Connor at the Commonwealth Parliamentary Offices here.
After getting the news last week that his citizenship application was successful, Wednesday`s ceremony completed the fulfilment of a dream for the 31-year-old Ahmed.
"It is a great day for me and it has been a dream of mine to become a citizen of Australia ever since I arrived here at the beginning of 2010," rejoiced Ahmed.
"Thank you, Minister Brendan O`Connor, Minister Chris Bowen and everyone in the Parliament for all their help." he said.
"And thank you, the great people at Cricket Australia, Cricket Victoria and Melbourne University Cricket Club for the support. This would not have happened without them," Ahmed said.
Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland expressed his joy at Ahmed becoming an Australian citizen: "This is a proud day for Australian cricket. Fawad Ahmed is a talented cricketer, but most of all he is a wonderful human being."
"He has confronted many challenges along the way, so today is a day for celebration. We are incredibly happy for him," he added.
"In addition, Cricket Australia expresses its gratitude to all members of the Commonwealth Parliament, but in particular to former Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Brendan O`Connor for pursuing and supporting the necessary changes to the Citizenship Act," Sutherland said.
Ahmed played just 10 first-class games in Pakistan with little success before he took political asylum in Australia, claiming death threats from the Taliban because he was involved in a charity promoting women`s education.
While he awaited a decision, Ahmed was trying to come to terms with the fact that he might be sent back to Pakistan, and his home region of North West Frontier Province on the Afghanistan border.
Ahmed will depart this weekend for Australia A`s VB Tour of Africa, to take part in a month-long series of matches in Zimbabwe and South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly