Pakistan’s Umar Akmal to undergo medical tests on return from Caribbean
Karachi: Young batsman Umar Akmal will undergo medical examination arranged by the Pakistan Cricket Board after he reportedly suffered from an epilepsy seizure during his stint at the Caribbean Premier League.
A source in the PCB said Umar had fell unconscious on a flight from Trinidad to Antigua while playing in the Caribbean Premier League for the Barbados side.
"He was immediately taken to a hospital in Antigua and kept their overnight for tests. They have informed us of his condition and he has been asked to return to Pakistan immediately," the source said.
He said that PCB caretaker Chairman Najam Sethi had instructed that as soon as the youngster returns from the West Indies today, he should be examined by specialists including a leading neurosurgeon approved by the board.
"There is concern over his illness although his family members have been in touch with him and say doctors told Umar it is not a serious condition," the source said.
Umar was in the Pakistan Twenty20 and ODI squad for the tour to Zimbabwe but has now been withdrawn by the PCB and the selectors have replaced him with wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed.
"In the past in Pakistan cricket there has been no other case of a player suffering from epilepsy seizures. Hopefully when he undergoes a complete medical examination, he should be fine," another official said.
The youngster whose two other brothers, Kamran and Adnan are wicketkeepers and have played for Pakistan, is seen as a key player for the more demanding series against South Africa and Sri Lanka in the UAE later this year.
Umar on the decision of the selectors and team management successfully kept wickets and also batted well on Pakistan`s tour to the West Indies in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA