Panesar still hurting from England`s series defeat
Abu Dhabi: Despite starring in his comeback match after more than two years out, England spinner Monty Panesar is still hurting from the 72-run loss that sealed a Test series victory for Pakistan.
Panesar took 6-62 for England to be set 145 to win the second Test on Saturday and level the three-match series, but Pakistan dismissed the visitors for 72 in 36.1 overs on the fourth day.
England lost the first Test inside three days by 10 wickets at Dubai, the venue of the last test starting Friday.
"I`m still hurting from the loss," Panesar said. "It would be nice to get some wickets but I would rather have a none-for and see England win. I want my performances to contribute to England winning and be part of a successful England team."
England needs to win the third match to ensure it takes the USD 175,000 jackpot awarded to the team finishing on top of the ICC rankings on April 1 each year.
Panesar`s previous test was against Australia at Cardiff, Wales, during the 2009 Ashes series.
England surprisingly didn`t include Panesar in the first Test despite the left-armer doing well in a warm-up match.
Captain Andrew Strauss included him in the second Test after seeing Pakistan left-armer Abdur Rehman troubling batsmen on the slow pitch of Dubai.
Panesar finished the first innings with 1-91, but was unlucky when James Anderson dropped Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq early in the first innings. But surprisingly, Panesar took the blame for allowing Pakistan to score 257.
"Maybe I let the team down in the first innings, where I didn`t take wickets at a quick enough rate," he said. "Swanny (Graeme Swann) kind of carried me, helping me out and made me feel part of the team, and it`s nice to bowl with him and bowl in tandem."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video