Parthiv, Niraj`s ton give Gujarat upperhand against Delhi
Valsad (Gujarat): Captain Parthiv Patel (100) and Niraj Patel (111 not out) scored centuries each to amass hosts Gujarat to 358 for six against Delhi at stumps on the opening day of their second Group B Ranji Trophy Elite division match on Thursday.
Opting to bat, Parthiv led from the front, scoring his ton off just 120 balls, while Niraj remained unbeaten on 111 that came off 203 deliveries to guide Gujarat to a comfortable position.
However, Gujarat`s start to the innings was far from rosy as they lost opener Priyank Panchal early, with the scoreboard reading seven.
Parthiv and Avi Barot (45) then held fort, sharing 99 runs for the second wicket to stabilise Gujarat`s innings.
Young left-arm orthodox bowler Vikas Mishra (4/67) then bowled Barot to scalp the first of his four wickets and produce the breakthrough for Delhi.
Parthiv became Mishra`s second victim, caught by Unmukt Chand in the 37th over of the innings. The diminutive left-hander struck 12 boundaries and a six during his stay at the crease.
Mishra also accounted for the wickets of Pratharesh Parmar (23) and Jesal Karia (21) before Niraj and Salil Yadav (28 not out) shared an unbroken seventh-wicket stand of 50 to give Gujarat the upperhand at close of play.
Apart from Mishra, the pace duo of Pradeep Sangwan and Parvinder Awana took a wicket each.
Gujarat: 358 for six in 90 overs (Parthiv Patel 100, Niraj Patel 111 batting; Vikas Mishra 4/67).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi