Parvez Rasool arrives at NCA, works on his fitness with trainers
Bangalore: Parveez Rasool, who became the first cricketer from Jammu and Kashmir to be included in the Indian team, spent his first day at the National Cricket Academy preparing for the upcoming tour to Zimbabwe beginning July 24.
Hailing from Beijbehara, a small town in Kashmir, the off-spinner arrived at the NCA here on Monday around 10am as advised by legendary spinner Bishan Singh Bedi.
He spent his time indoors at the NCA, working on his fitness with the trainers.
The 24-year-old, who has been in contention for national selection for a while now after a string of impressive performances, got the nod in the squad after the national selectors preferred to go in with a young team.
The series will be held from July 24 to August 3 at Harare and Bulawayo.
The decision to rest Ravichandran Ashwin paved the way for Rasool`s selection in the senior team since he is also an off-spinner.
The selectors also picked the India `A` team for the tour of South Africa which also includes Rasool.
He has taken 46 wickets in 17 first-class matches and scored 1003 runs at an impressive average of 38.57.
Rasool was the standout performer for Jammu & Kashmir in the 2012-13 Ranji Trophy, ending the season as its top scorer and highest wicket-taker.
In his seven Ranji matches, Rasool scored 594 runs at 54 with two centuries, and took 33 wickets at 18.09 to finish as the third-highest wicket-taker among spinners in the tournament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'