Parvez Rasool's national hopes could bring peace to valley
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir cricketer Parvez Rasool may be fast-tracked into the national Indian squad as the government wants to defuse the tense political situation in the state, according to a leading national newspaper.
The report claimed that the Government had conveyed its vested interests in Rasool’s prospects to the BCCI in the wake of the tension that has gripped J&K after 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s hanging.
Cricket is understood to be very popular in the Valley and having its player in the national team would definitely boost a nationalistic sentiment, but the revelation of the political play at the heart of the decision may well beat the point of the plan.
It’s not like the all-rounder hasn’t been playing well either, as his recent outing for the Board President’s XI against the visiting Aussies saw him shine with the ball, spinning his way to 7 wickets in Chennai last week.
His first class stats have also been rather impressive this Ranji season as he notched up 594 runs and grabbed 33 wickets for J&K.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!