Parvez Rasool's national hopes could bring peace to valley
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir cricketer Parvez Rasool may be fast-tracked into the national Indian squad as the government wants to defuse the tense political situation in the state, according to a leading national newspaper.
The report claimed that the Government had conveyed its vested interests in Rasool’s prospects to the BCCI in the wake of the tension that has gripped J&K after 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s hanging.
Cricket is understood to be very popular in the Valley and having its player in the national team would definitely boost a nationalistic sentiment, but the revelation of the political play at the heart of the decision may well beat the point of the plan.
It’s not like the all-rounder hasn’t been playing well either, as his recent outing for the Board President’s XI against the visiting Aussies saw him shine with the ball, spinning his way to 7 wickets in Chennai last week.
His first class stats have also been rather impressive this Ranji season as he notched up 594 runs and grabbed 33 wickets for J&K.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000