Patil, Pandit to be heads of MCA selection panels
Mumbai: Chief national selector Sandeep Patil and junior India panel Chairman Chandrakant Pandit have become the new heads of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA)`s senior and junior panels respectively.
"Patil and Pandit would automatically head the senior and junior selection committees of the MCA as per our constitution as they are the new national selectors. But they cannot interfere in the selection of any team in absentia. The decision of the Chairman of those meetings would be final and binding," said MCA President Ravi Savant after a meeting of its Cricket Improvement Committee (CIC) here today.
The CIC met following the resignation of its head, former India skipper Nari Contractor, who quit the post because of his wife`s illness for which he needed to accompany her often to Hyderabad for treatment, said Savant, who chaired the meeting.
In another significant decision taken by CIC, Deepak Jadhav is to continue as a member of the senior selection panel though his son is a cricketer and is eligible for selection.
"The CIC decided that Deepak Jadhav will continue as a selector though his son is playing. This is a conscientious decision of the committee which cannot be challenged later."
"The MCA President would continue to chair CIC meetings," said Joint Secretary P V Shetty.
Another Joint Secretary, Nitin Dalal, said former India pacer Abey Kuruvilla, who was expected to quit as a senior selector after he failed to get the nod as the national selector from west zone, would remain on the panel.
"He has confirmed he will continue as a selector," said Dalal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read