Pattinson makes strong pitch for Gabba Test spot with 6-wicket haul for Victoria
Melbourne: Australian pacer James Pattinson made a strong pitch for a return to a Test spot by taking career-best figures to set up Victoria’s stunning 10-wicket Sheffield Shield win over Queensland at the Gabba.
Pattinson registered career-best first-class figures taking 6-32 to set up his team’s victory and knock on the selectors door ahead of Australia’s approaching Test series against South Africa.
Pattinson, who had match figures of 8-61, showed no mercy as Queensland at one stage lost 5-9.
He made his case strong to team up alongside teammate and mentor Peter Siddle in the opening Test against the Proteas.
Pattinson had picked up 5-27 at the same ground on Test debut last summer against New Zealand, The Age reports.
Siddle is expected to be selected for the Test along with Ben Hilfenhaus, and the selectors are expected to rotate young pacers Pattinson, Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc throughout the summer.
“It is always good taking wickets, it puts your name up for selection. Hopefully I will be up there in the (Test) mix, (but) it``s a great time for Australian cricket with so much depth in our bowling,” Pattinson said.
Pattinson said lessons learned from the past, including his Test debut, had taught him how to handle the lively Gabba deck.
“It is a good place to bowl when you get it right but it can go the other way when you don``t and become easy to score on. In my first Shield game here I got hit for 130-odd runs off 30 overs or so,” he said.
“And, I know it isn``t an excuse, but I was probably a bit nervous (on Test debut) but I came out (in the second innings) with a clear frame of mind and just tried to bowl fast and hit the wicket hard, and I took that into this game too.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers