PCB agrees to release Saleem Malik`s outstanding dues
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has finally accepted the plea of banned former captain, Saleem Malik that a lower court has declared him innocent of match fixing charges and agreed to release his outstanding money due with the board for years now.
Chief operating officer, Subhan Ahmad told PTI that the managing committee, which now stands dissolved, had in its final meeting given approval for releasing the provident fund and pension money due to Malik with the board.
"Orders have been passed for the release of his money as he had filed an application with us for the same," Ahmad said.
Malik was banned for life in 2000 on the recommendations of a judicial inquiry for his role in match fixing but he later appealed in the higher and lower courts and in 2008, a sessions court declared the life ban illegal.
"Yes Malik has sent us the decision of the court and we have sought guidance from the International Cricket Council on the issue. But the MC felt that since the court had passed an order Malik`s money should not be held up by the board any longer," he added.
The former Pakistan captain has also asked the board to allow him to resume cricketing activities and give him a coaching assignment. But Ahmad said no decision on this had been taken as yet.
"We are still to get a reply from the ICC and we will take it from there," he said. PCB`s outgoing chairman, Najam Sethi also said on a television show that since the court had cleared Malik there appeared to be no reason to hold up his pension and provident fund amount.
"If the court has cleared him than we can`t stop his payments and there is no doubt he is a former captain."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened