PCB asks Miandad to work with u-19 team ahead of World Cup
Lahore: With the under-19 cricket World Cup just over a month away, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has asked former Test skipper, Javed Miandad, to guide the country`s younger lot during their conditioning camp.
"Javed is not appointed as batting consultant, but he has been asked to work with the under-19 players before they leave for Australia," one of the sources in the PCB said.
He added that Miandad has also been told to work with the senior team, ahead of their ODI series against Australia in UAE next month, once they return from Sri Lanka.
"Javed is without any doubt one of the greatest batsman produced by Pakistan and since he is employed with the Board everyone feels he is the best man to work and offer some guidance to the batsmen at any level," a PCB official said.
He said although former Test batsmen Haroon Rasheed and Sabih Azhar were attached with the under-19 team, the feeling was that Miandad could do a lot to improve the batting skills of the players.
There has been a growing concern in Pakistan that why former cricketing greats don`t work or are not asked to work with the junior teams.
Miandad has been working with the Board as director cricket since 2008, but since Zaka Ashraf took charge as Chairman last year he has been given more responsibilities.
The veteran of 124 Tests has coached the senior team during three different stints, but on each occasion either has resigned or was released due to issues with the establishment.
Many former players have suggested that Miandad should be appointed batting consultant with the senior team, a position the former great has rejected time and again.
Pakistan colts play Afghanistan in their World Cup opener on August 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof