PCB chairman Sethi`s appointment challenged by TIP
Karachi: Pakistan Cricket Board`s new interim Najam Sethi`s appointment was challenged by the Chairman of Transparency International Pakistan (TIP) which they termed as unconstitutional.
Advocate Sohail Muzaffar who is Chairman of TIP said that they find the appointment of caretaker PCB Chairman Sethi by the present government against all norms of transparency and merit that the government promised to the citizens of Pakistan during their pre election party manifesto.
"Najam Sethi is not the best choice for the Chairmanship because according to the PCB constitution, the acting Chairman has to be selected from within the Board of Governors," he said.
Secondly, he claimed that Sethi is income tax defaulter of FBR, and has to pay Rs. 10.6 million tax on the non-disclosed income of FY 2009, according to Commissioner Inland Revenue, Lahore FBR letter No J 4535 of 24 April 2013.
Syed Adil Gilani, Advisor, TIP said that the since last 15 years Pakistan Cricket has been mismanaged by chairmen not having any experience of Cricket or were closely related to ministers, which has almost destroyed Pakistani Cricket.
"At this point of time Pakistan Cricket needs person of spotless integrity like Justice Cornelius known as the father of Pakistan Cricket President of the BCCP 1961."
"The Islamabad High Court on 12 June 2013 had directed the Inter-Provincial Committee to appoint an interim chairman who could represent PCB in ICC annual meeting next week, but the acting Chairman has to be amongst the Board of Governors of PCB," he insisted.
In 2011, the ICC required that its member boards become autonomous and free of interference from governments by June 2013. Removal of government interference had also been one of the Woolf report recommendations approved by the International Cricket Council (ICC), he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read