PCB chief refutes Butt`s innocence claims in spot-fixing
Lahore: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Zaka Ashraf has rejected spot-fixing convict Salman Butt`s claims of innocence, saying the former captain was just expressing his personal views.
The 27-year-old ex-Pakistan captain, found guilty in a spot-fixing scandal that rocked the sport, on Friday called for an open trial in his home country, saying justice was not done in the case leading to his ban and jail time.
"Whatever denial Butt is giving now, it is his personal view," a newspaper quoted Ashraf, as saying at Lahore Airport after returning from the International Cricket Council annual conference in Kuala Lumpur.
"Butt was convicted in a UK court so the matter was related to the UK."
The cricketer was found guilty by both the game``s governing body and a British court of receiving money in return for orchestrating deliberate no-balls during the Lord`s Test against England in 2010.
The bowlers Mohammed Aamer and Mohammad Asif were also charged relating to deliberate no-balls they bowled but that were allegedly contrived by Butt in association with agent Mazhar Majeed, also sentenced to 32 months in jail.
The deal was organised by Majeed and an undercover reporter for the now defunct News of the World, in a sting operation which exposed corruption in international cricket.
"If the chief justice of Pakistan``s Supreme Court decides to take up the matter it is up to him, but the PCB has no link and no role in all this," said Ashraf, who took over in October, a month before the players were sentenced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof