PCB could change ODI captain in coming weeks, hints Moin
Karachi: Pakistan`s new chief selector Moin Khan today dropped a hint that the PCB could go for a change in captaincy of the one-day team in the coming weeks.
As the board continues to make changes and give new assignments as part of its its-shake, Moin said that a captain should be liked by the team. "The captain should be someone who is a performer and is also liked in the team. The captain should be liked in the media and by the people as well," Moin told reporters in Lahore.
He appeared to be referring to current Test and one-day skipper, Misbah-ul-Haq, who has led by personal example with some sterling performances, but continues to be criticised in the media and by fans for his approach to the game. Sources have indicated that with Moin taking over as chief selector and manager of the national team, there is a lobby active in the board that wants Shahid Afridi to be given the one-day team captaincy before the 2015 World Cup 2015 in Australia and New Zealand.
Opener Ahmed Shahzad is being tipped to take over as the national T20 captain after Muhammad Hafeez stepped down following Pakistan`s failure to reach the semifinals of the World T20 in Bangladesh. Afridi has always been seen as a popular captain in the team.
Moin stated that Pakistan have time to prepare for the 2015 World Cup and a plan would be unveiled soon to start preparations for the mega event. He also called on all players to keep the same approach and positive attitude. "That is the only way our players can improve themselves and be world beaters."
Meanwhile Pakistan`s most capped player and former captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq has advised the board to quickly take whatever decisions they wanted to for the national team. "There is little time left before the World Cup and whatever the board wants to do it must do it quickly. Because the captain should also know where he stands and the players should also be comfortable knowing who is leading them," Inzamam, a veteran of 120 Tests, said.
Inzamam also said that the captain needed to be give freedom to plan and select the team.
"A captain needs time to gain confidence of his players so that they can work together and perform for the team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened