PCB forced to postpone PSL over fresh security fears
Sydney: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has postponed the country`s first-ever domestic Twenty20 league, the Pakistan Super League (PSL) after being hit by a warning over security fears in the terror-prone nation. However, the organisers have claimed the postponement was a result of overwhelming response from the players. PCB had planned to stage the PSL from March 26 as the first step towards reviving international cricket in the country.
No international cricket has been played in Pakistan since militants attacked the Sri Lankan team bus during a Test match in Lahore in 2009 and the country is still rocked by almost daily bombings and shootings. The PCB claims around 80 foreign players have already signed for the league but a warning from the Federation of Cricketers Association to international players not to tour has also prompted Cricket Australia (CA) and Cricket South Africa (CSA) to hint their players will not feature in the PSL.
PSL managing director Salman Sarwar Butt, who didn`t announced new dates, said the T20 competition got an overwhelming response from sponsors, broadcasters and players, adding there were several other investors who asked them to give them more time for their various rights. The PCB will be hard pressed to find another time slot soon as the sixth edition of the more lucrative and attractive Indian Premier League will be held April 3-May 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir
- Euro 2016: Italy vs Spain - As it happened...
- When Lady Gaga met Dalai Lama!
- After Zuckerberg, OurMine hacks Sundar Pichai's Quora and Twitter accounts!