PCB imposes temporary ban on Danish Kaneria
Lahore: The Pakistan Cricket Board has imposed a temporary ban on the country`s leading Test leg-spinner Danish Kaneria.
The PCB said on Monday that Kaneria will not be able to take part in any cricket activities in Pakistan until a decision comes on the appeal he files against the life ban imposed on him by ECB for his role in spot-fixing.
"After deliberating the Kaneria case the integrity committee of the board, which also includes a retired judge, decided to wait until a decision comes on any appeal that Kaneria files against his life ban. But until that time he is not eligible to play anywhere and at any level in the country," a board official said.
The PCB integrity committee which met under the supervision of board Chairman, Zaka Ashraf also studied the legal implications of the case.
Kaneria was banned for life from English cricket by the England and Wales cricket Board panel which found him guilty of corruption and cheating while playing for Essex.
Kaneria, who has taken 261 Test wickets, can appeal against the life ban and the leg-spinner has said that he has every intention of contesting the ban as he was not given fair justice during the ECB hearing.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) board meeting held in Kuala Lumpur last month also urged member countries to impose a worldwide ban on Kaneria.
Although Kaneria has not played for Pakistan since September, 2010 after the spot-fixing scandal involving a match between Essex and Durham broke out in late 2009 but the PCB had allowed him to continue playing in domestic cricket in Pakistan.
"The committee discussed in detail the ICC and PCB Anti-Corruption codes under which Pakistan Cricket Board is bound to recognize, respect and enforce the ban in it`s respective jurisdiction," a PCB statement said.
"It was also brought to the knowledge of the committee that Mr. Kaneria intends to appeal against the decision of the Cricket Discipline Commission. After legal evaluation of the matter the committee agreed that any final decision should only be taken once the outcome of appeal by Mr. Kaneria was known.
"Keeping in view this aspect, and in the light of the decision by CDC of ECB dated 22nd June 2012, the facts of which are being considered in detail by the Integrity Committee, and till the matter is finally concluded by ECB`s Appeal Panel, the Integrity Committee decided that Mr.
Danish Kaneria will not be eligible to play any cricket match, or participate in any cricket event/activity in Pakistan," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference