PCB intervenes to end Razzaq-Hafeez rift
Lahore: Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Zaka Ashraf today stepped in to defuse the simmering tension between the national T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez and all-rounder Abdul Razzaq.
Razzaq was today fined Rs one lakh by the board for his recent outburst against Hafeez after the ICC World Twenty20 event in Sri Lanka.
Ashraf, while speaking to the media, said he was happy that Razzaq admitted his mistake and realised he should not have spoken publicly on the matter.
"We just need to move on as the issue has been resolved," Ashraf said.
PCB media manager Nadeem Sarwar said, "Razzaq and Hafeez both met with the chairman and the issue was discussed in detail. Razzaq has been fined 100,000 rupees and reprimanded for breaching the code of conduct and he has accepted his mistake."
The 32-year-old Razzaq had accused Hafeez of deliberately not selecting him in the World Twenty20 semi-final though the team management wanted him to be included. The PCB had issued a showcause notice last week asking him to explain his comments about Hafeez.
After their meeting with the PCB chairman, Hafeez and Razzaq held a press conference at the Gaddafi stadium where the two insisted that there had been no ill-feelings towards each other.
"I made a mistake in speaking to the media and passing remarks when I was clearly emotional. I never had any problems with Hafeez and I accept that my outburst against him was unfair. I have already apologised for it," Razzaq said.
"I have a lot of respect for him as a captain and teammate and I accept the PCB decision. I know I violated the code of conduct," Razzaq added.
Soon after the Pakistan team returned from the T20 event in Sri Lanka, Razzaq criticised Hafeez for making him play in just one match right through the tournament. Hafeez insisted that axing Razzaq from the final XI was a decision taken by the team management.
"The matter is now over and I have the greatest regards and respect for Razzaq as he is my senior. I know he can still serve Pakistan cricket well and has a vital role to play in the team," Hafeez said.
"I don`t want to say much about what he said about me, but I insist that the decision not to play him was taken by the team management," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25