PCB is not on a warpath with ICC and other boards: Butt
Karachi: PCB chief Ijaz Butt on Monday defended its decision not to suspend the three Pakistani cricketers for their alleged involvement in spot-fixing, saying that such a move would have sent a wrong message.
“We didn’t take action against them and let the ICC follow its course of action. We didn’t want to send out a message to the world that we believed our players were tainted. The world would have believed that the trio was indeed guilty of spot fixing,” Butt said.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) suspended the trio on basis of allegations that surfaced after the fourth Test against England in Lord’s last month.
Butt also reiterated that the PCB is offering full cooperation to Scotland Yard and the ICC in their ongoing investigations into the spot-fixing allegations against the players.
“Since they were only allegations against our players, we didn’t suspend them, but they were withdrawn from the side,” he said.
Butt also claimed that it was unfair to blame the PCB for the spot-fixing allegations that rocked world cricket.
“The players are not children and should know what their responsibilities are. They are properly briefed about everything. It is their choice on what company they keep or who they appoint as agents. We manage a national team of players not schoolboys,” Butt said.
He also rubbished speculations that the PCB was on a warpath with the ICC and other cricket boards. “We have our reservations over our decision to suspend the players without prove.
“But we have cooperated with the ICC anti-corruption and security unit. And as a board we have a responsibility to ensure that no one keeps on making unsubstantiated allegations against our players,” he said.
The PCB chief also confirmed that the suspended trio would not be able to take part in domestic cricket until the Scotland Yard and ICC concluded their investigation.
“These players can’t play in domestic cricket at the moment,” he said.