PCB issues four-month contracts to six players
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), in a first, has issued short term four month contracts to six cricketers who were not included in the original list of players to be given central contracts earlier this year.
An official in the board confirmed that pace bowlers, Mohammad Talha, Mohammad Sami, Tabish Khan and Umaid Asif, all-rounder Fawad Alam and leg-spinner Yasir Shah have been given four-month contracts worth Rs 40,000 per month from September to December.
"These players were given the short term contracts after the board committee and selectors reviewed their performances of late," the official said.
"These players were not included in the original list of players given central contracts and retainers in May," he added.
The players with central contracts and retainers are being paid a much higher monthly retainer as compared to the ones given the short term contracts.
For instance, category `A` players in the central contracts get 313,000 monthly, while those given retainers also get paid around 75,000 per month.
This fact obviously has left the six players unhappy.
The board had faced criticism for omitting Sami and Talha in particular, from the original list after their fine performances in domestic and international cricket.
Sami was neither given a central contract nor a retainer despite being named in the squad for all three formats of the game for the tour of Sri Lanka in July.
The PCB, in a major blooper, also announced a retainer for Peshawar batsman Bismillah Khan who had already been banned for an altercation in a Grade-II match last season.
The criticism led to the PCB chief Zaka Ashraf asking a special committee to review the whole matter and the matter was also raised at the last governing council after which the board decided to award the short term contracts.
One of the players noted that they had suffered for no fault of theirs.
"Now even when the board has tried to make amends it has done it half heartedly giving us four months and a low retainer. There is no mention about the months wasted this year," a player said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand