PCB planning to launch PSL T20 this year: Zaka Ashraf
Karachi: The stupendous success of the National Super Eights T20 Cup held in Lahore has once again raised the hopes of the Pakistan cricket authorities that their ambition of launching an international Super League could become a reality this year.
The PCB had planned to launch the five-team Pakistan Super League T20 (PSL) from March 26th, but postponed it in February due to time constraints and other issues.
"The PSL can be launched this year, because one thing is clear. There is a big market for T20 cricket in our country," PCB Chairman, Zaka Ashraf told PTI.
Ashraf was the chief guest at the Super Eights final at the Gaddafi stadium on Sunday where around 35,000 people packed the stadium to watch Misbah-ul-Haq`s Faisalabad Wolves side upset the Sialkot Stallions led by Pakistan`s former captain Shoaib Malik.
"We are pushing for the PSL because we know it is the best way to restore the confidence of the other cricket playing nations in us and our security," Ashraf said.
No test playing nation has visited Pakistan because of security fears, since militants attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore in March, 2009.
"When we can have such crowds for a domestic T20 competition imagine what the PSL can do for Pakistan cricket," Ashraf said.
"Don`t forget we had tickets for the super eight cup, but people paid to come and watch the matches," he said.
Ashraf said the board had also implemented a new security plan for the Super 8`s Cup which proved to be a success as the event was held without any incident.
The PCB chief said that there were two windows available to the PCB to hold the PSL this year.
"We are looking at them but we need to have international players in the league. We already have an agreement with the Sri Lankan board that their players will come to play in our league whenever it is held," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday