PCB seek cooperation from ECB
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) wants the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to share all information with it when it holds an inquiry into the Mervyn Westfield spot-fixing case.
"We are in touch with the ECB and we have told them that whenever their disciplinary committee starts a investigation into this spot fixing case we should be kept in the loop," said a senior official of the board.
He explained that PCB`s interest in the case revolved around Test leg-spinner Danish Kaneria.
"Kaneria was initially linked in the Mervyn Westfield case and also questioned by the Essex police who later released him for lack of evidence. But after Westfield`s trial and subsequent jail term we want to know if there is anymore involvement of Kaneria in this case," the official said.
He said the PCB wanted the ECB to share information and details with its integrity committee which would decide on whether Kaneria should be cleared to be considered for national selection again.
"No date has been set for the hearing of the integrity committee as yet but we are seeking all related information and evidence relating to the Mervyn Westfield trial," he added.
During the Westfield trial his lawyer told the judge that it was Kaneria who had got his client involved in the spot-fixing scandal.
The official said the PCB was pleased to hear that Kaneria had offered to cooperate with the integrity committee and provide all documents and evidence related to his case.
"We want to be certain because we have already had a major spot-fixing scandal in 2010 and we don`t want to take chances in Kaneria`s case at all," he added.
Sources close to the Board have told PTI that the PCB?s concern emanates from information it has got from the ECB that some Essex players had also mentioned the name of Kaneria in the case when the spot-fixing investigations were going on.
The PCB for the moment has allowed Kaneria to play domestic cricket but has ignored him for national selection since he last played a Test in England in late 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug