PCB seeks ICC`s advice over Wahab Riaz`s future
Lahore: The Pakistan Cricket Board has sought advice from the ICC on whether to consider pace bowler Wahab Riaz for the team`s forthcoming series against England.
Sources close to the bowler said that he had requested the PCB recently to make it clear to him why he was not being considered for selection since the past three months.
"Wahab is desperate to be considered for national selection again and the PCB has now sought some advice on his future as a Pakistan player," a source said.
The PCB has quietly sidelined wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal and Wahab from national selection this year.
Kamran was dropped after the World Cup and while Wahab was part of Pakistan`s Test squad against Sri Lanka in the UAE, he was dropped for the one-day series.
He was not considered for the tour to Bangladesh as well. His sidelining came around the same time that his and Kamran`s names were mentioned during the spot-fixing trial held in London after which Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir were given various jail terms.
The left-arm pacer has been performing well in domestic cricket.
The national selectors are due to announce the squad for the series against England during the second Test against Bangladesh next week.
Chief selector Muhammad Illyas had made it clear that they will only consider those players for selection whose names are cleared by the board.
"We can only select those players who are cleared by the board in every sense of the word," he said.
Illyas is scheduled to fly to Mirpur to watch the second Test, starting from December 17, after which he will consult with the captain and coach before finalising the squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region