PCB should take measures to revive international cricket in Pak: Yousuf
Islamabad: Former Pakistan captain Mohammad Yousuf has asked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to seek the help of former players in its bid to revive international cricket in the country.
Yousuf, who is training at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore with national coach Dav Whatmore, said he was extremely disappointed by the postponement of the Bangladesh team` tour to Pakistan.
"It is very disappointing because it has been three years since any international team came to Pakistan," he said. "But the PCB should not give up hope and continue its efforts to invite teams to Pakistan," Yousuf told the Daily Times.
"The board must enlist the services of some leading former players and use them as cricket ambassadors to promote a soft image of Pakistan abroad," he said. Yousuf, who last played for Pakistan in 2010, said former players tend to have their own personal connections and friendships, which could be utilised to help the PCB in its endeavours. "We all want to see international teams playing again in Pakistan. We all need to work together to produce results," Yousuf said.
Whatmore, meanwhile, told the media that he was also personally disappointed by Bangladesh``s decision to postpone the tour.
"I was looking forward to the series and wanted to see the teams play in Pakistan. But we just need to now focus and prepare for our coming assignments," he said. "I have decided against going on vacations and instead will remain in Lahore to prepare the players for the coming tour to Sri Lanka in late May," Whatmore said.
Former Pakistan Test captain Aamir Sohail also echoed Yousuf’s thoughts.
"The Bangladesh pull-out is really disappointing and sad for Pakistan cricket. Te board must now form a new team which can convince teams to play in the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof