New Delhi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Thursday suspended Saeed Ajmal's contract following the spinner's recent outburst about the testing procedures for suspect actions where he accused the ICC of double standards.
According to a report in ESPNCricinfo, the PCB has taken a lenient action against the 38-year-old off-break bowler by suspending the contract and holding monthly retainer.
The PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan said: "I am disappointed what Saeed said recently and we have taken a minimum action against him by suspending [his contract] and held his monthly retainer. We have also asked him to write to us about why he talked like that. We have always supported him, helped him throughout in his tough time and even hired Saqlain Mushtaq to work on his action."
In a recent tirade against the cricket's world governing body, Ajmal accused the ICC of double-standards, claiming that off-spinners have been unfairly targeted and suggesting that the players of some countries - notably Pakistan - are more likely to be reported than those from some others.
He also questioned Harbhajan Singh's bowling action, saying the Indian spinner will exceed the 15 degrees limit if test a is conducted.
The PCB had given Ajmal a category B contract earlier this year, having been demoted from the top level following his return to international cricket after reworking on his bowling action.
Ajmal has played 35 Tests and 113 ODIs for Pakistan, taking 178 and 184 wickets respectively. He was the quickest Pakistani to take 100 test wickets, after making his debut in He also played in 64 T20Is, taking 85 wickets.
Ajmal was first banned by the ICC of illegal bowling action in 2014.