PCB to seek fresh directives IHC for Board chief election
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board will seek fresh directives from the Islamabad High Court after the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) expressed its inability to conduct the election for the post of PCB chairman.
The ECP in response to a letter from the PCB has said that it does not have the mandate to conduct elections of the Board.
An ECP official said that the PCB had contacted them because the IHC had given directives that elections for the Board chairman should be held within 90 days under the supervision of the ECP.
"But we have informed them about our inability to get involved in this election process," he said.
"We can`t conduct the election for PCB chairman as it is not our mandate and that is why we have expressed our inability," they said, adding that the ECP will have the same plea in the court if its opinion will be sought on the issue.
The IHC had ordered in its judgment in July that the ECP should conduct the elections in which the elected presidents of the regional and district bodies besides the representatives of the departments affiliated with the PCB would form the electoral college.
The IHC issued the orders to conduct fresh polls after declaring null and void the election of Zaka Ashraf as PCB chairman.
Sources in the PCB said that they would now approach the IHC for fresh directives.
"Things are not working smoothly and normally in the PCB. So it is important to have a clear directive about the elections and powers of the chairman," one source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Govt rejects Infosys proposal to set up IT SEZ in West Bengal
- Urjit Patel as new RBI head to ensure continuity: Mundra
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach