PCB to select `fittest over experienced` players for Champions Trophy
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has said that only the fittest players will be selected for the squad for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy following a suggestion by Test and ODI captain Misbah-ul Haq urging the selection committee to prefer fitness over experience.
The fitness issue dearly cost Pakistan during their tour of South Africa where they lost both the Test and One-Day International series, as at least five of their key players including fast-bowlers Umar Gul and Mohammad Irfan fell victim to injuries.
Coach Dav Whatmore, along with bowling coach Mohammad Akram and pace legend Wasim Akram, assessed each bowler closely in order to avoid another injury nightmare at the Champions Trophy that begins next month in England.
According to a PCB official, fitness will be preferred along with current form, adding that there will be no compromise and only the fittest players will be selected for the squad even over experienced ones.
The team management and selection committee were expected to make a similar assessment on the batsmen, adding that the final 15-man squad could spring up a few surprises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!