PCB to select `fittest over experienced` players for Champions Trophy
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has said that only the fittest players will be selected for the squad for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy following a suggestion by Test and ODI captain Misbah-ul Haq urging the selection committee to prefer fitness over experience.
The fitness issue dearly cost Pakistan during their tour of South Africa where they lost both the Test and One-Day International series, as at least five of their key players including fast-bowlers Umar Gul and Mohammad Irfan fell victim to injuries.
Coach Dav Whatmore, along with bowling coach Mohammad Akram and pace legend Wasim Akram, assessed each bowler closely in order to avoid another injury nightmare at the Champions Trophy that begins next month in England.
According to a PCB official, fitness will be preferred along with current form, adding that there will be no compromise and only the fittest players will be selected for the squad even over experienced ones.
The team management and selection committee were expected to make a similar assessment on the batsmen, adding that the final 15-man squad could spring up a few surprises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional