Bhubaneswar: The penalty imposed on the state`s promising wicket-keeper batsman Haladhar Das, who had been axed for the entire ongoing season on disciplinary ground, was lifted on Thursday by the Orissa Cricket Association (OCA) after he tendered an apology.
The decision to withdraw the penalty with immediate effect was taken at a meeting of the OCA Tournament & Disciplinary Committee held at Cuttack today, OCA secretary Asirbad Behera said.
"The penalty imposed on Haladhar Das is withdrawn with immediate effect in consideration of his reply against the show-cause notice, wherein he begged apology before the esteemed members of the committee and assured not to repeat the mistake," Behera said.
"The axe on Haladhar Das, who had been recently made the captain of Orissa Ranji team, had fallen a fortnight ago on the eve of the team`s second encounter of the season against Punjab at Mohali," he added.
Team officials had asked Das to return to Orissa and appointed Nataraj Behera to lead the side in his place.
Reserve wicketkeeper Subhrajit Sahu was to perform duties behind the stumps.
Sources said Das and two young players of the team were not available at the dinner table on the eve of the match on November 9. It was learnt that the three players had gone out of the hotel in the evening without the permission of the manager and returned around 9.45 pm, they said.
Behera had said that action was immediately ordered against Das as he was a senior player and the captain of the team, while the two new players were let off with warning.