People are jealous of CSK because we have Dhoni, says Srinivasan
Chennai: BCCI president N Srinivasan, who has stepped aside from his post in the wake of the IPL spot-fixing scandal, on Friday took potshots at his detractors, saying they were "jealous" as he was able to rope in Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni to lead his IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings.
Srinivasan, who found his name dragged into the IPL fiasco after the alleged involvement of his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan in spot-fixing and betting scandal, was speaking at a function for the first time since he stopped discharging his duties as BCCI President.
"Why do you think people are jealous of CSK (Chennai Super Kings)? It is because of Dhoni. There was a savage attack on me (recently) because I have Dhoni," Srinivasan said, referring to recent controversies related to IPL which saw him face scathing criticism on issues of propriety and probity after the arrest of his son-in-law Meiyappan.
Interacting with a group of students and academicians at Alagappa College of Technology, Srinivasan said his detractors would remain silent if he had released Dhoni.
Srinivasan showered accolades on the Indian captain terming him an "outstanding leader and innovative captain."
"On the field Dhoni never showed his emotions and was an intelligent cricketer and a simple man," Srinivasan said.
"Former Indian coach Gary Kirsten once said that on the field, no one can equal Dhoni as a captain," Srinivasan said, recollecting his conversation with the South African cricketer.
Srinivasan had recently stepped aside till a probe into his son-in-law Gurunath Meyyappan was completed, with former chief Jagmohan Dalmiya being named head of an interim arrangement to run the Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today