Petition against Sachin`s nomination to RS before PIL bench
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court today directed to place a writ petition filed against famous cricketer Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to the Rajya Sabha before the division bench dealing with PIL matters on May 7.
The petition, filed by a local lawyer Ashok Pandey on May 2 had sought direction for quashing the recent nomination of Sachin Tendulkar to the Upper House.
A division bench comprising justice Devi Prasad Singh and Justice Saeduzama Siddiqui passed this order today after the additional solicitor general Dr Ashok Nigam raised preliminary objections at the time of hearing that this petition is having the nature of Public Interest Litigation (PIL) hence it should be heard by such a bench.
The petitioner in his petition has alleged that the nomination of Tendulkar was against the legal provisions and was in clear violation of the constitution.
He has contended that Tendulkar`s nomination as "a renowned sportsman" was in violation of the Article 80(3) of the constitution.
As per the Article 80(3) the members to be nominated by the President shall consist of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of matters namely literature, science, art and social service, he has stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar
- Sahara group puts out huge 4,700 acres of land for sale
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4