Pietersen England`s scapegoat: Flintoff
London: Former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff believes that Kevin Pietersen has been made a scapegoat for England`s Ashes whitewash after having his international career brought to an end.
The England and Wales Cricket Broad (ECB) announced the end of Pietersen`s association with England earlier this week, citing a need for a new "team ethic and philosophy" after the 5-0 Test series defeat in Australia.
However, Flintoff feels that it is wrong to single out individuals and has questioned the team spirit within the England squad.
"The group doesn`t seem to be a group any more," he told British newspaper the Daily Mail.
"They`ve got one player who can take the blame and the rest of them want to go about their business and let him take the fall.
"It`s not that we couldn`t bowl them out, not that we couldn`t score runs, not that we got outplayed -- it`s Kevin Pietersen`s fault.
"I`d have more respect for some of the senior players if they held their hands up, rather than letting it all get heaped on one bloke."
With the ECB yet to fully explain its decision to axe Pietersen, Flintoff says that the South Africa-born batsman`s case had been used as a smokescreen to shield others from criticism.
"If his attitude was that bad, why did he play five Tests?" Flintoff said.
"Who made the decision to drop him? Do they genuinely believe we are better off without him, or are they just fearful for their own jobs and too afraid to say no?
"I can`t imagine what Kevin could have done, or what the ECB could announce, that would allow this to make sense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened