Pietersen helps save England from Scots struggle
Nottingham, June 03: Kevin Pietersen hit an unbeaten 53 to steer England to an unconvincing six-wicket win over Scotland with six balls remaining at Trent Bridge on Tuesday in a World Twenty20 warm-up.
The Scots batted first with Kyle Coetzer making 34 and Craig Smith hitting 45 to help their team to 136/5 off their 20 overs.
Pietersen finished the match in style with his second six with recent former Ireland international turned England convert Eoin Morgan not out on 23.
It was a gallant display from a Scottish side who, the day before, had been rocked by a bitter fall-out between skipper Gavin Hamilton and pace bowler John Blain, an argument which prompted the seamer to withdraw from the tournament.
"Blainy and I had a big fall-out," said Hamilton, a former England international.
"He was only with us one day so we can`t say we miss him. We`ve still got to discuss this but I`m not going to discuss it with him during this tournament, I`ve got enough on my plate. We`ve got 14 guys who I think are very much behind me and the John Blain thing will be dealt with after."
Meanwhile, England skipper Paul Collingwood was delighted to see Pietersen in the runs after shaking off an Achilles injury which ruled him out of the recent one-day series with the West Indies.
"He`s raring to go," said Collingwood.
"He`s had a few weeks off through injury. He`s got the buzz about him and a big smile on his face. I thought it was a real mature innings from him tonight, and we`re going to need more of them."
England get the World Twenty20 underway with a game against the Netherlands at Lord`s on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai