Pietersen helps save England from Scots struggle
Nottingham, June 03: Kevin Pietersen hit an unbeaten 53 to steer England to an unconvincing six-wicket win over Scotland with six balls remaining at Trent Bridge on Tuesday in a World Twenty20 warm-up.
The Scots batted first with Kyle Coetzer making 34 and Craig Smith hitting 45 to help their team to 136/5 off their 20 overs.
Pietersen finished the match in style with his second six with recent former Ireland international turned England convert Eoin Morgan not out on 23.
It was a gallant display from a Scottish side who, the day before, had been rocked by a bitter fall-out between skipper Gavin Hamilton and pace bowler John Blain, an argument which prompted the seamer to withdraw from the tournament.
"Blainy and I had a big fall-out," said Hamilton, a former England international.
"He was only with us one day so we can`t say we miss him. We`ve still got to discuss this but I`m not going to discuss it with him during this tournament, I`ve got enough on my plate. We`ve got 14 guys who I think are very much behind me and the John Blain thing will be dealt with after."
Meanwhile, England skipper Paul Collingwood was delighted to see Pietersen in the runs after shaking off an Achilles injury which ruled him out of the recent one-day series with the West Indies.
"He`s raring to go," said Collingwood.
"He`s had a few weeks off through injury. He`s got the buzz about him and a big smile on his face. I thought it was a real mature innings from him tonight, and we`re going to need more of them."
England get the World Twenty20 underway with a game against the Netherlands at Lord`s on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA