Pietersen lacks maturity to become great cricketer: Tufnell
London: England batsman Kevin Pietersen, who is under fire for sloppy dismissals duirng the Ashes series, can never be a great cricketer because of his poor short selection, according to former spinner Phil Tufnell.
Pietersen, one of the big English failures in the series, is under pressure to quit playing for England after the 5-0 Ashes whitewash against Australia.
Pietersen, who averages just over 47 in 104 Tests, was dismissed for three and six in the final Test to finish with 294 runs in the series at 29.40.
The 33-year-old has since claimed that he wants to play his part in attempting to regain the urn in 2015, but Tufnell insists he must change his ways, the Mirror reports.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, Tufnell said Pietersen is a good player who has played some great innings, but great players wouldn`t have played the shots he has throughout this Ashes series to get out.
Pietersen finished the Ashes series as England`s leading run scorer with 294 runs - although his top score was only 71.
Pietersen is likely to be sacked by selectors after coach Andy Flower reportedly issued a ultimatum that either `he or KP` would remain in the team.
The new managing director of England cricket, Paul Downton, will decide the futures of Flower and Pietersen, whose relationship has broken down to the extent they may not both be able to carry on as part of the England Test set-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP