Pietersen may face disciplinary action over Twitter outburst
London: England batsman Kevin Pietersen could face disciplinary charges for tweeting about his omission despite his apology.
National selector Geoff Miller however said that the star batsman might escape punishment, as he has claimed that the post was a mistake.
“I’ll talk to KP and if he wants to apologize or thinks there is a need to apologize then so be it - I will certainly explain to him what my feelings are,” The Telegraph quoted Miller, as saying.
“It sounds like it might have been an accident, but not something you’d want to see and perhaps should be banned. I don’t see where the word accident comes into it.”
“Writing columns in newspapers or whatever leaves a player open to making questionable statements and I see this twitter in the same boat. I’m not for it I must admit,” he added.
Pietersen had broken England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) rules on Tuesday when he reacted to being dropped from the ODI side by labeling the decision a “f*** up”.
He hastily withdrew the posting on the controversial social networking site, but not before England bosses had been informed of his furious reaction.
The 30-year-old insisted that he never intended to make the message public, claiming that he had been trying to send a private message to a friend.
“It came out in a way I obviously didn’t want it to come out. The Twitter thing was a direct message. As anyone who is on Twitter knows, you can send direct messages to your friends, or whoever’s following you,” Pietersen said.
“So, I must apologize that it ended up in the public domain and also apologize for the language I used. I would never, ever swear on Twitter when going out into the public domain, so this is a big apology, and now it’s a case of looking forward what is going to be an exciting couple of weeks. It was just a mistake,” he added.