Pietersen reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of Conduct
Kolkata: England batsman Kevin Pietersen has been officially reprimanded for showing "excessive and obvious disappointment" after being given out by the umpire during his side`s six-wicket victory over India in their one-off Twenty20 match.
"Kevin Pietersen has been officially reprimanded for a Level 1 breach of the ICC Code of Conduct during his side`s six-wicket victory over India in the only Twenty20 International (T20I) of the series in Kolkata on Saturday," the ICC said in a statement.
Pietersen was found to have breached Article 2.1.3 of the code which relates to "showing dissent at an umpire`s decision during an international match".
The charge was laid by on-field umpires Sudhir Asnani and S.Ravi, third umpire Vineet Kulkarni and fourth umpire K.Srinath.
The offence occurred following Pietersen`s dismissal, when he was given out lbw off India`s Suresh Raina.
Pietersen pleaded guilty to the charge and as such, under the provisions of the code, the matter was determined by Roshan Mahanama of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees and so there was no requirement for a full hearing.
"As an experienced cricketer, Kevin should know that when the umpire raises his finger, a player should leave the crease without showing his emotions no matter what he may think of the decision," Mahanama said.
"In this case, Kevin displayed excessive and obvious disappointment at the decision which sent the wrong signals to all those watching the match at the ground and on television, and as such, merited some form of action."
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and/or a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player`s match fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj