Pietersen`s text messages with Proteas team went on longer than first thought
London: Disgruntled England batsman Kevin Pietersen`s text conversations with the South African team went on longer than first thought, according to reports.
His closeness with the South Africans is not a surprise, given his friendship with several players, but when skipper Andrew Strauss and the England management meet Pietersen next week, they will want to know if widespread reports that he sent uncomplimentary texts to the opposition during the first Test are true.
It had been thought the incriminating texts, which led to Pietersen being dropped for the Lord``s Test, had been sent during the match at Headingley last week.
But sources have indicated the contact stretches further back.
Pietersen will have to come clean about the content of the texts before Strauss is willing to select him in the Test side again.
The International Cricket Council have put back the deadline for announcing the final 15-man squad for the World Twenty20 to next Friday, although it looks unlikely to improve Pietersen`s chances of playing in the tournament.
The delay was agreed at the request of several countries, including England, who did not want the distraction of naming the squad during this Test match.
Instead England plan to announce their squad on Tuesday, leaving no time for talks to be held with Pietersen about a return.
The Professional Cricketers` Association will play a role in brokering talks between Pietersen and England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video