Pietersen wants ECB permission for IPL to play in all formats for England again
London: England batsman Kevin Pietersen wants permission to play in the Indian Premier League from the ECB in order to come out of retirement and play for his team in the ODIs and Twenty20.
Pietersen condition of missing the Tests and playing in the IPL is likely to be rejected by England director Andy Flower.
Pietersen’s offer last week to end his exile from one-day internationals contained the caveat that he be allowed to play the whole of the IPL season and fulfil his two million dollars contract with the Delhi Daredevils, the Telegraph Sport reports.
The move would see the batsman miss the two home Test matches against New Zealand in May next year, which precede England’s defence of the Ashes.
The IPL starts on April 3 with the final on May 26 and as the second Test against New Zealand starts at Headingly on May 24, he would miss both games.
Flower is expected to turn down the offer and Pietersen’s name is not likely to feature in the 30-man list the England and Wales Cricket Board will announce on Wednesday as their preliminary squad for the World Twenty20 in September.
Pietersen wants to play in the tournament but was forced to retire from all forms of limited-overs cricket when he was told his central contract prevented him from playing only one format.
Flower was adamant yesterday the situation had not changed. “The situation is the same as it was when he first approached us. The ECB are determined to protect all three formats of the game and part of that is not setting a precedent of allowing players to retire from one-day cricket alone,” he said.