Pitch made it a low-scoring affair: Katich
Chennai: Praising Steve Smith and Ben Rohrer for their match-winning 73-run partnership for the sixth wicket, New South Wales Blues skipper Simon Katich said the pitch with its low bounce rendered the Champions League T20 match against Mumbai Indians a low-scoring affair here Sunday.
The Blues defeated Mumbai Indians by five wickets.
"The bounce was quite low and I thought our quicker bowlers did a great job to restrict Mumbai Indians to 100. Then Rohrer and Steve Smith batted quite beautifully. However, credit to the Mumbai bowlers who did a good job for their side," said Katich.
Mumbai Indians skipper Harbhajan Singh, echoing Katich`s views on the pitch, said it was not easy to defend such a low total, but that his bowlers, especially Abu Nechim and Lasith Malinga gave a fine performance.
"The bounce was very low, but still we could have got 130 or 140 on this pitch. The Blues bowled well and overall, played better than us," said Harbhajan who will now have to await the results of other Group A fixtures to learn the fate of his team as far as a semifinal spot is concerned.
"We have to wait now and if we get another game, then we hope to improve," said Harbhajan.
Man of the Match Steve Smith admitted that it was not the easiest of pitches to bat on, but he and Rohrer decided to play straight and not take any risks.
"Ben and I decided to bat straight and not hit across the line since the ball was keeping low. We wanted to give ourselves a chance to get in and hence played down the ground.
"I thought our bowlers too did a fantastic job to restrict Mumbai for a low score," said Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh