Piyush Chawla`s 10-wicket haul goes in vain as Somerset loses
Taunton: Leg-spinner Piyush Chawla`s dream run in English county circuit continued as he served a timely reminder to the Indian selectors with a match haul of 10-wickets for Somerset against Derbyshire in a Division One game here today.
Chawla, who scored a century at Lord`s against Middlesex in the last first-class match, had match haul of 10 for 208 (5/111 in 26 overs & 5/97 in 29 overs) but his effort went in vain as veteran Shivnarine Chanderpaul guided Derbyshire to a two-wicket win with a patient 74 not out.
Derbyshire needed 244 to win and achieved the target in 83.2 overs.
Chawla was the best performer among the Somerset bowlers as he got his wickets with classical leg breaks as well as his stock ball -- the googly.
This is his third match haul of 10-wickets and would certainly have the likes of Sandeep Patil get up and take notice of the 24-year-old UP lad`s performances.
Apart from his bowling, Chawla also made the highest score of 27 in his team`s paltry first innings total of 103.
Chawla now has 13 wickets from three first-class games and has scored 199 runs in five innings with a highest score of 112.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch