Players showed responsibility in absence of Gambhir: Kallis
Hyderabad: Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Jacques Kallis is pleased with they way his team dealt with the absence of Gautam Gambhir as they began their quest to qualify for the Champion League T20 with a win over Auckland Aces.
Gambhir, the regular skipper of the side, suffered concussion during the recent disastrous England tour and was forced to skip the tournament.
"It is unfortunate that we miss a world class player like Gautam Gambhir, who adds massive value. But the guys have put up their hands and we all realise that when you are missing a world class player like that, everybody needs to produce little bit more which the guys showed today," Kallis told reporters after securing a narrow two-run win, last night.
"The team would try to put is best foot forward to qualify for the main tournament," he added.
Replying to a query he said though he is disappointed with the batting in the game against Auckland, he still felt that the players put up a great fight.
Kolkata batsmen Manvinder Bisla, who made a rapid fire 45, said it was an opportunity for him to learn while playing with a world class player like Kallis.
"Jacques Kallis is a world class player and you can learn a lot when you play with a player like him."
Meanwhile Auckland captain Gareth Hopkins was naturally disappointed to let slip a win out of hands.
"It is disappointing. More so, that we came so close and at one time we looked favourites. so it is pretty disappointing. Kolkata bowled very well and picked up three quick wickets it put up on the backfoot," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...