Police probing if spot-fixing took place in other RR matches
New Delhi: The Delhi Police is investigating whether spot-fixing took place in matches involving Rajasthan Royals in the IPL other than the three matches in which three of its players were allegedly involved.
Police sources today said so far concrete evidence has emerged only in three matches on May five, nine and 15 and three players -Sreeshant, Ajit Chandela and Ankit Chavan - were arrested, besides 11 bookies.
It has also come to light that Amit Singh, one of the bookies arrested, had played for Rajasthan Royals in the previous IPL season.
A senior police official said telephone conversations have indications about spot-fixing in other matches but the investigators have not been able to concretely prove that as of now.
We are collecting evidence,’ the official said, adding role of other players have not come to light. He said, however, the police are not ruling out any possibility as of now as investigations are still on.
The sources said the players were embarrassed and were not opening up initially while bookies were talking.
Sreesanth and two other bowlers were arrested in a post-midnight operation in Mumbai yesterday by the Delhi Police for spot-fixing IPL matches for payments of upto Rs 60 lakhs just for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.
The arrested cricketers and the bookies were remanded in police custody for five days by a Delhi court yesterday for questioning in connection with the case.
Advocate Deepak Prakash, who had appeared for Sreesanth, had told reporters that the cricketer was innocent and that he had been framed in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing