Polish duo knocks out Lee-Hesh in US Open quarterfinal
New York: The Indian pair of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi were knocked out of the US Open after they lost their quarterfinal match to Poland`s Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski in straight sets.
The sixth seeded Polish duo won by 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) margin in an hour and 43 minutes against the fourth seeded in Indian pair.
Leander will however pair up with Elena Vesnina later in the day to play his mixed doubles semi-final against Melanie Oudin and Jack Sock.
Another Indian star Rohan Bopanna and his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi are also expected to take the court against Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins of Great Britain. The winner of that match will meet the Polish pair in the last four clash.
Playing on Court No 4, Paes and Bhupathi lost their serve once during the first set and the Polish duo cashed in on the opportunity to wrap it up in the 10th game. They won the first set in 34 minutes.
It was the service that let the `Indian Express` down as they won only 86 percent points on their first serve compared to 65 percent by Fyrstenberg and Matkowski.
The second set also saw both teams competing on even keel. Although Paes and Bhupathi got a chance to convert a break point in the seventh game but they failed to do so.
As both the pairs held their serve, the second set went into a tie-break. However the Polish duo held their nerves as they won the tie-breaker by 7-4 margin in 69 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in